The SADC Lawyers Association and the Law Society of South Africa
are proud to co-host the
17th SADCLA Annual Conference and General Meeting
in Cape Town, South Africa, from 17 to 19 August 2016.
Registration is now open for the conference and the networking session.
Reduced rates available for early registration.
Come and meet your colleagues from the SADC region – network, talk and catch up with critical developments in the legal landscape in the region.Under the overarching theme of ‘Promoting the harmonisation of trade and investment laws and legal practice standards for regional development and effective integration in SADC’, the programme will focus on areas of mutual concern and interest.
Read more and view the conference programme.
Breakaway sessions will cover
· Environmental regional challenges: Wildlife poaching – Legislative frameworks; prosecutions; closing trafficking routes; lessons from Kenya
· Developments in commercial arbitration in the region
· Finding a balance between the free movement of persons (immigrants, asylum seekers, migrants) and combatting human trafficking
· The appointment of judicial officers: How selection processes contribute towards independent, impartial and accountable judiciaries
The plenary session on Thursday, 18 August will be a keynote address by world-acclaimed economist, His Excellency Festus Mogae, Former President of the Republic of Botswana.
The plenary session on Friday, 19 August will focus on economic protection and the role of African multilateral institutions (NEPAD, SADC and AU) – The impact of economic partnership agreements (EPAs) and regional integration processes in the SADC region.
Download the registration information brochure (including accommodation arranged at special conference rates at a selection of conveniently located hotels).
Please note that registration will be confirmed only once payment has been received.
Conference proceedings will be predominantly in English. French and Portuguese translation facilities will be available.
SPECIAL NETWORKING SESSION FOR LAW FIRMS
Open only to registered conference delegates, this session will provide an opportunity for practitioners seeking to learn more about practising in the SADC region or seeking to meet and network with practitioners in specific SADC countries.
How the networking session will work
• Separate registration is essential for this session to be included in the networking prospectus (for registered conference delegates only). Register here for the networking session.
• Firms will complete a registration form which includes their contact information and preferred areas of
• Firm profiles will be included in a prospectus that will be circulated to all those registered for the networking session before the conference.
• Contact a firm or practitioner prior to the conference and arrange to meet at the networking session in Cape Town.
• Or just attend the networking session and meet your colleagues there.
There is no additional cost for this session.
Register online for the networking session (delegate must be registered for the conference to register for the networking session).
Download the manual registration form for the networking session (delegate must be registered for the conference to register for the networking session).
CONFERENCE SOCIAL EVENTS
17 August 2016 Opening cocktail function (Additional cost of US$25)
19 August 2016 Closing gala dinner – The Ballroom CTICC. Included in conference registration.
Showcase your firm or products to your SADC colleagues.
The conference venue is the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC), a world-class, multi-purpose venue which offers a variety of handy on-site facilities specifically aimed at providing conference delegates the luxury of everything under one roof, including complimentary WiFi. The CTICC is conveniently located within walking distance of a number of hotels and with easy access to the V&A Waterfront and Cape Town’s vibrant, multi-cultural CBD.