The Tanganyika Law Society (TLS) is the Bar association of Tanzania Mainland, founded in 1954 by an Act of Parliament – the Tanganyika Law Society Ordinance 1954. The Tanganyika Law Society is currently governed by the Tanganyika Law Society Act, Cap 307 R.E. 2002, which repealed the earlier legislation.
TLS was established with several statutory objectives, including :-
- To maintain and improve the standards of conduct and learning of the legal profession in Tanzania;
- To facilitate the acquisition of legal knowledge by members of the legal profession and others;
- To assist the Government and the Courts in all matters affecting legislation and administration and practice of the law in Tanzania;
- To represent, protect and assist members of the legal profession in Tanzania as regards to conditions of practice and otherwise;
- To protect and assist the public in Tanzania in all matters touching, ancillary or incidental to the law.